Monday, January 3, 2011

Harvard Science

I e-mailed a Harvard physicist today regarding a detail of the Hayling plot. The answer I got was sort of what I was expecting, but not quite what I'd hoped for. However, it still raises some really interesting ideas and doesn't really discount what I had planned because A) It's science-fiction and B) I can still make it work with some fancy footwork. It's a relatively insignificant detail anyway, actually. Just thought I'd cover my bases to see if I could include a potentially cool idea into the story.

I don't want to give away the entire concept, because it may or may not end up being important to the plot, but I guess it's about time I let a detail slip that wasn't covered in the synopsis. As you may have guessed, the e-mail was regarding the science behind solar flares and coronal mass ejections (CMEs). I'll let you make of that what you will, but trust me when I say I won't do anything so stupid as what 2012 did with it.

The solar flares themselves aren't a huge aspect of the plot, but they do serve an important purpose. I think I might try to find a way to shed some light on it when I can finally get the teaser trailer together. Should be cool, plus it lets me do more research and as we all know, science is fun!

And speaking of science, I really do aim to make my story a compelling science-fiction tale, while being as true to the science aspect as I possibly can. The liberties I take will be for the sake of good, interesting story telling, not spectacle.

Well, maybe a little spectacle.
 

1 comment:

  1. when you mention exaggerated solar flares, the first movie to come to mind wasn't 2012, but 'The Knowing' haha.. that whole movie, aside from the angels bit, was focused on an extremely large solar flare that reaches Earth and spreads like wildfire across it's entire surface. Hearing what you said about how solar flares can't get that large makes that movie more lulzworthy.. more so than Nic's extremely srs facial expression on the cover, lmao.

    So, you plan on doing a 'trailer' of the book? I may have read that wrong, haha..

    ReplyDelete